Tooth erosion will eventually lead to sensitivity and pain. It is important to detect the symptoms, causes, and options for proper treatment early.
Tooth erosion occurs when tooth enamel starts to wear away and it exposes the dentin below. Thinning enamel exposes the inner layers of the tooth to acid and bacteria, putting you at increased risk of infection, cavities, and decay. One of the symptoms of tooth erosion is that the chewing surfaces of your teeth become sensitive to hot, cold, air, and even touch. The edges of your front teeth may also become yellow/stained, shiny, or transparent. There may be pits on the chewing surfaces of your teeth or your teeth may change in size or shape as the enamel erodes. Cosmetic dentistry can repair the effects of tooth erosion, but it is important to know the causes and how you can prevent it.
Tooth Enamel Erosion: Know the Main Causes
Tooth enamel erosion happens from several causes that have one thing in common – acid exposure. Your teeth get exposed to acids in various ways including:
- Drinking acidic beverages including fruit juices, sodas, energy and sports drinks.
- Acids from your stomach traveling up your throat and into your mouth (acid reflux, GERD).
- Eating disorders such as bulimia (due to stomach acid)
- Chemicals in drugs like meth and cocaine
- Chronic dry mouth where there is not enough saliva to wash away the acids from what you eat and drink.
All these situations lead to tooth enamel erosion.
Acid Erosion in Teeth: How to Prevent It
Acid erosion in teeth is destructive however, you can prevent it. You can do so by:
- Drink a lot of plain water often!
- Limit frequency and amount of eating/drinking sugary items
- Drink acid containing beverages less often
- Drink through a straw to reduce the exposure of your teeth to acids
- Eat a healthy diet and change your habits
- Chew sugarless gum or suck on sugarless mints after meals
- Talk to your dentist about getting relief from dry mouth
- Talk to your physician about heartburn or acid reflux questions
- Use oral health care products which carry the American Dental Association Seal of Acceptance that is safe and effective in preventing erosion
Taking advantage of the comprehensive dental services offered by Dr. Robin Asbury at Metro Smiles P.C. will help to prevent and manage acid erosion in teeth.
Expert Tooth Erosion Treatment in Greenwood Village, CO and Denver, CO
Tooth erosion treatment varies depending on the stage it’s at. It is important to note that once you lose the enamel on a tooth, it can’t be replaced naturally. Remineralization can be used to limit further enamel loss and Fluoride toothpaste for sensitive teeth can help to reduce discomfort. In cases of significant erosion, restoration is necessary. Porcelain crowns can be placed over teeth to protect them from further decay and sensitivity. Thin porcelain veneers are also an option for strengthening teeth with weak enamel.
When you visit Dr. Robin for tooth erosion management, she will discuss all the options with you, and you will decide on the best course of treatment together. Dr. Asbury has been a 5280 Top Cosmetic Dentist for 14 consecutive years so you can be sure you’ll be in good hands. To learn more about porcelain veneers and crowns, please call our Greenwood Village dental office at 303-768-8443. We serve Denver, Denver Tech Center, Englewood, Greenwood Village, Cherry Hills, Centennial, and beyond. Schedule an appointment and let us help you improve the look and health of your teeth!
Read More Articles from Metro Smiles
Choosing a liquid brow lift using Botox® or Xeomin® will help you achieve an improved appearance by lifting your eyebrows and treating frown lines between your brows in just the right spot. These injections work by relaxing underlying muscles to smooth your skin on...
Metro Smiles, P.C. consists of Dr. Robin Asbury and her team of dental professionals. If you have bleeding gums, toothache, bad breath, or other problems, we will review your situation and provide you with answers to the care you might require. If you’re like most...
Learn more about what microneedling is and its benefits now. Microneedling can boost cell rejuvenation and improve skin tone through collagen stimulation. This procedure is completely safe if you are healthy and the only aftercare is a special moisturizer placed on...