We’re always telling you to brush and floss daily. But how often do we back it up with sound reasons to get excited about oral hygiene? Truth is, there are so many benefits the follow consistent cleaning – and they extend past the realm of oral health. Taking a few minutes each day to pay attention to your teeth will pay off, and we’ve listed a few of the ways they will make a difference below. Which ones speak to you? Consider this list the next time you decide to skip the floss.
How Oral Hygiene Will Get You Far
- Your smile will be prettier – A healthy smile is often a beautiful smile. Without cavities or gum disease, your teeth and gums are more likely to be whole and strong, and to build a lovely grin.
- Your teeth will be whiter – Throughout each day, the foods and drinks you consume leave stains on the surfaces of your teeth. These dark compounds lodge in the porous enamel, resulting in a darkened grin. If you brush and floss regularly, you have a better chance of removing those stains before they move deeper and require whitening to remove.
- Your dental work will last longer – Fillings, cosmetic bonding, and porcelain restorations need great care to really last. If you take pains to clean your teeth well, you’re giving that dental work a better chance.
- Your teeth will be better preserved – As we age, our natural teeth lose some of their luster and strength. But cleaning them well helps them last, and lends your entire smile longevity.
- You’ll save time and money – No cavities or gum disease means fewer restorative and cosmetic treatments, allowing you to spend that time and money elsewhere.
- You’ll avoid painful treatment – Patients with dental anxiety often find that they put off even regular exams. Unfortunately, this can begin a vicious cycle that leads to a requirement for invasive treatment (once cavities and gum disease form). But if you care for your teeth and visit Dr. Asbury regularly, you have a better chance at avoiding those uncomfortable procedures.
- You’ll be spared from gum disease – Gum disease is a big bad guy in the dental world. Once it takes hold, it’s more likely to return. Avoid it from the start and you’ll never need worry.
- You’ll feel more confident – With a healthy smile in place, you’ll feel better about yourself, and that feeling will shine through in all your actions.
- Your breath will be better – When your teeth are super clean, your mouth has fewer bacteria and smells fresher.
- You may prevent other health complications – Gum disease has been linked to heart disease, diabetes, stroke, and other complications. Keeping it out of your mouth could keep other problems from becoming more serious.
- You’ll feel more positive about dental treatment – When every dental appointment doesn’t yield cavities and reprimands, you feel better about dental care in general. With healthy teeth in place, you’ll feel more comfortable visiting the dentist.
- You will spend less time in the dental chair – We love seeing our patients, but we know that dental appointments aren’t always their favorite moments of the day. When you have healthy teeth, you won’t need to have as many appointments.
Centennial Dentist on Establishing the Best Possible Oral Health
While it’s important that you engage in preventive care at home, it’s also crucial to schedule regular dental exams. Only a dentist can recognize the signs of burgeoning dental problems. You should see Dr. Asbury every six months (although some patients may need to visit more frequently).
Call us today to schedule your next checkup!